PROJECT TURN AROUND
Project turn around is one of three funded Gang Prevention and Intervention programs (GPIP) in the city of Toronto and we are mainly in the North West of Toronto. The project employs a holistic, culturally appropriate and responsive community-based prevention and intervention service delivery aimed at youth ages 12-20. However, we do serve youth up to 24 years of age and their families. The program provides gang prevention and intervention support to at-at-risk and youth, gang-involved and high risk youth––most of whom are on probation or in conflict with the law––to develop a positive goal-oriented lifestyle and to help them exit from gangs and navigate the criminal justice system.
Prevention: The provision of culturally relevant services to at-risk youth through interactive workshops, employment and training supports, cultural and community education, substance abuse awareness and harm reduction strategies.
Intervention: The planning and implementation of client-centered, trauma-aware, safety informed intervention strategies for youth to participate in a wrap-around rehabilitative/integrative plans in a positive, culturally affirming community setting.
Who do we support?
· Youth who are in conflict with the law
· Have been sentenced and are at risk to re-offend
· Are at higher risk of criminal/violent behavior and poorer outcomes
· Reside in a higher risk neighborhood or area
· Have multiple risk factors and challenges and/or have experiences specific incidences that increase their risk, such as a sibling in conflict with the law.
· Awareness about gangs and associated risks
· Wrap-around family interventions including counselling, psychoeducation, crisis planning and system navigation.
· Employment and Job Skills Training & Internship Opportunities
· Parenting Skills Training
· Support Youth to successfully complete probation and bail orders
· We also provide court support.